background

Monday, June 4, 2012

Week 18

Well transfer calls are this sunday, so just under a week and I am not excited about them. I hate the suspense! Especially now that we are starting to have some success in our area. We only have 4 and 2 in limbo, but they are all so great. 1 is on date for baptism and is just the most ready ever. 2 are picking a day still, but are thinking june and 1 causes me daily striff because I care so much about her but she isnt putting in any effort to find out. We have been teaching her since I got here and she still wont pray...but she wants to know if she should get baptised. It is so frustrating because we cant get her answer for her, but we cant take away her agency and we might have to drop her...and that is really heart breaking. The other 2 are maybe going to trade from our ward to the singles ward, which I dont want but really it isnt up to me, dang it. They are super cool. One of them has been less active for years and the other one is not a member. They both got out of rehab recently but are so legit! Ryan the LA started reading the Book of Mormon in rehab and realized that all this time that he had been looking for God and looking for answers they had been right in front of his face. And Justin, his non member friend, saw the change that reading had made in Ryan and was curious. So now we are teaching them and they are both just so in tune with the spirit and are really willing to do what ever it takes. Yesterday we had a lesson about the Word Of Wisdom because they both still smoke...alot. And as we talked about it Ryan was saying that he just didnt think it was a priority with him and God right now and that he felt ok with smoking because he had bigger issues that he was overcoming and Justin agreed. So we read in corintians about how your body is a temple for the holy ghost and then we read in D&C about the word of wisdom and when we had talked about the why and the blessings that come from living it justin just laughed and said "Well everything that you just said makes sense...I guess I am quitting smoking!!" and Ryan was just shaking his head. When we asked him what he was thinking he said laughingly "I am just realizing how full of crap I am!" He said that he was seeing all of the ways the Lord had made it known to him that smoking was a priority and all the ways he had justified it. It was super cool. And at the end of the lesson, Justin picked a day and texted his mom that he is getting baptised as a mormon! Ha ha. They are so cool and I just love teaching them and I dont want to give them up, but I know that Heavenly Father had a plan for them and for me. I am still not super great at talking to people. My OYMs are still pretty pitiful, but when I actually bear my testimony it feels good. We were talking to this hispanic man the other day who said he didnt like the book of mormon because of the pictures in the front. Because Joseph Smith is more attractive than the picture of Christ and also that the picture of Christ coming to the americas isnt accurate. It was madness, and I was able to bear my testimony...in spanish....that there was absolutely nothing quite as beautiful as that picture because Jesus Christ is standing in the midst of his people and he is inviting them to come and see that he is their Savior. It was really powerful and it softened Marianos heart and he let his talk to him for a little longer. Even though things are hard sometimes, I am truly seeing my purpose here and I am slowly starting to lose myself, and that feels wonderful! We had a Sisters Training this week in which we did a service project for one of the companionships investigators. We cleaned her house and boy...it was a disaster! Family...think of Aunt Alice times 5. It was just so gross and dirty but it was interesting because I didnt feel much judgement for this women, just sadness. It was really cool to be able to help her because there is no way she could have done it alone but as she had been taking the lessons she realized that she needed to change. It was really neat to realize that I am seeing people more through the eyes of God than through the eyes of man. Ok now before I go...a few random things!!! This week I learned to eat like a real Mexican! It was splendid. I learned that silverware is innecisary(wow, cant spell) in hispanic culture because you can eat anything with a tortilla. I ate steak and rice and beans all with a tortilla! It was so fun! Also, does anyone know who the family is on the conference ensign? They look so familiar to me, but I cant figure out why or who they are! Also anyone that knows Chase Elwood, tell him Hi for me. I watched the "Sanctify Yourself" video, and he is on there and I wanted to tell him hello. Also, Hermana Mugar hasnt ever seen a cow in real life so we stopped to see some one night and the farmer let her feed them but said to her "Where are you from that you havent ever seen a cow!?!?!" It was really funny! Ok enough of all that crazyness. I love you all and I am so appreciative of your support! Please dont forget about me, I love getting your letters!! Love Hermana Parry 1. Me, Mugs, and Trystan 2. Us and Angela and her kiddos 3. Me and Mugar 4. Sister Mugar feeding a cow 5. Sister Mugar and Artic aka Artie. The huskie living in Arizona...it is pretty ironic! 6. The cigarettes we confiscated! 7. The weekly car wash. I think washing your car once a week is dumb! 8. Me and Mugar with the cows 9. Me feeding a cow 10. Me at the "Spirit of Joy" lutheran church. It is my favorite church in Gilbert because it is called the spirit of joy but it is so drab and gloomy on the outside. :)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe she's never seen a real cow! Crazy! Jeff says, "That's the way to eat and tortillas sure taste better than silverware." Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete