It is my first week in the MTC and I must admit it is kind of insane. The first night I was here was really cool. We taught some investigators in a forum style of teaching and it was really special. I said things to two out of the three of them that made them want to learn more about the gospel. That was really really incredible. It made me think that I could maybe actually do this. Then Thursday hit and all that confidence went out the window.....SPANISH! I am having kind of a hard time, ok a really hard time with spanish, granted it has only been 3 days but it feels like I should know more. That is partially because my companions already know it. They are not perfectly fluent, but they understand and can sort of teach. It is a blessing in some ways because they can help teach me words and stuff but it is also hard to feel like I am so far behind everyone else. Most of the elders in my district all took at least high school spanish too, so it can be discouraging. But I am lucky, my companions and my district are all amazing. They are so much fun and so supportive. We taught a lesson in spanish last night to a guy named Rafael, it was horrific. I didnt understand a single thing that went on, not one word. So any of you reading this, please pray extra super hard for me and my spanish. All of you spanish missionaries, how do you do it?
On a brighter note, I really am loving the MTC. I am in a tripanionship with Hermana Hill and Hermana Escobar. They are really fun, Hermana Hill is a little more gung ho than me in a lot of ways, but we all get along pretty well and we do love each other. There are 3 other Hermanas in our room, they are going to Spain and have been here 3 weeks, they are really helpful. The beds are not to comfy here but it is kinda fun sleeping on the top bunk, though I am always afraid that I am going to fall out of bed at night. Ha Ha. 6:30am is really to early for me! Good Grief! Any hour that the sun hates I hate also.
I am so much older here than everyone else in my district, but that is ok, because I still act sort of like a little kid (cant always fight my parry genes). Elder Oliver and I get along really well because we both say ridicuolus things like "What Up?" and "Respect", or now in spanish, "Respecto!"
P.S. Alie, I saw Elder Weaver, Matt Weaver. I didnt say anything to him because we were leaving and I just saw him down the hall, but it was fun. It did make me feel old though, I am serving my mission with boys my baby sisters age. :) And I saw my pal Mary Madsen too, but that is about everyone that I know.
The work is hard, and long but it is good and I am loving it. Keep me in your prayers, especially my spanish because I am going to need it!!!! Love You!
Love, Hermana Parry
From what I've heard, you won't really know the language until your away from the MTC and using it everyday. We will pray for you and I know the language will come.
ReplyDelete